Thursday, December 17, 2009

Rounds 3, 4, and 5

The contests for HMMT team selection have now concluded. However, I started writing this blog post before performance contests 4 and 5, so you will see my thoughts progress over a week.


Performance test 3. Halfway home. Something is clearly different. This time the curve is much more spread out. This is pretty much the exact score distribution that I was going for, but I wanted this to happen on performance test 1. So when I heard that the top 15 average was almost 10, I honestly winced: "Was this test too easy?" That question is still going through my mind. I like the score distribution, but I can't help but think that I only got it because the test wasn't at the same level as the last two.

And this is confirmed by others. When people commented on this test, they often said "I think this contest was much better than the last ones, mainly because problem 3 was completely trivial." When I look back over the test, I can't say that I really think it is too easy. Certainly problem 3 was easier than it has been before, but the hard problems were, I think, the same level as the ones before. The difference was that people had more time to work on them.

So no, this test wasn't too easy. What really gets me now is that nobody got a 4. Somehow people felt that problem 3 was easier than problem 2, and in fact more people solved problem 3 than problem 2. I don't know what to make of this. Problem 3 was a very classical problem that many people had seen before, but problem 2 was supposed to be an easy problem regardless of whether you've seen it before or not.

Problem 4 did pretty much exactly what it was meant to do: people who actually finished the problem (proved their answer) got it right, whereas people who sort of tried a few values and hazarded a guess didn't. Problem 5 turned out a bit easier than I anticipated, but that didn't affect the score distribution much at all. Finally, I was hoping more people would get problem 6, but I'm happy that one person got it right, even if he didn't quite finish the computation.

Let's go on to contests 4 and 5, which both happened on December 16, the day where all the seniors would find out about MIT early action decisions.




The graphs really interest me because the score distributions for the later contests were much smoother than those for the earlier contests. Contest 4 is the kind of score distribution that I would like if I were writing a real contest, where I'd want to name a top 3. This is because the top 3 are really distinct from the rest of the crowd. Test 5 is something that would be better for choosing a top 10 (although it looks like it's really only top 8), since there is a hump at 7. This means that the people who did better than that hump are distinguished, and should be named in the top 8. If you were to ask me my interpretation, I would say that contest 4 is better for training for the contests that we will be going to, and contest 5 is better for choosing the team (although the way our system works, getting an 8 on contest 5 doesn't help very much, unfortunately).

So what caused this change in score distribution? I can think of two possibilities: either my contests got easier or the team got used to my contests (hopefully improving in the meantime). I don't know if the contests really got easier. I will say, however, that I did feel that test 5 was definitely easier than test 4. However, what I didn't expect was that a nonzero number of people solved the last problem on test 4, whereas as far as I know only one person was close to solving the last problem on test 5 (and he finished incorrectly). This has a very simple explanation: the last problem on test 4 was a geometry problem, and I am relatively bad at geometry. Therefore, the geometry problems I think are the right difficulty are going to generally be easier than the nongeometry problems I think are the right difficulty. When I noticed that test 5 was easier than test 4, I thought about it a bit, then decided that I really liked test 5's problem 6, so I left it that way to give people time to work.

For those of you reading this, take a look at the tests now, after everything is done. Did the tests really get easier? Or can I safely say that the team is improving? Perhaps both, but I hope the tests didn't really get that much easier. So now I am interested in what people thought of this experiment (since it really was an experiment). Did the performance tests go well? Did you feel that they were better or worse than the other contests for determining teams (consider all three teams - I really didn't write these for the purposes of determining C team, but they had an effect down there)? Finally: did you like them?

My guess is that next year I won't be able to write performance tests for the team, although I had a lot of fun putting them together. However, I'm still not sure what I'll be doing second semester. I might (don't hold me to this) put together some contests and run them problem-of-the-week style. Would the people currently at TJ be interested? (this would also be open to people outside of TJ, so feel free to say that you would be interested if you aren't at TJ as well). If I get enough interest, I'll definitely try to do it.

I have some other blog posts that I want to write now, so this post is a bit short compared to some of my previous ones. For those of you who haven't read the solutions to performance contest 5 yet, I invite you to try this generalization of the last problem:

Brian flips a coin repeatedly. Before each flip, he decides randomly with equal probability to either continue flipping or to stop (so he flips 0 times half of the time). What is the probability that, after he stops, he has flipped exactly k more heads than tails in terms of k?

16 comments:

  1. You should continue these contests in second semester. I like them, even though I've been consistently getting 2 questions >_>; But they did bring me up the few ranks that adding drops dropped me by <_<;

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should have it so that it's like how we choose between FCMLs and TJMLs.
    We should choose between performance contests and RCMLs, because RCMLs are just retarded, though idk what the sponsors would think about that, they like it for some reason -_-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought 3 - 5 were easier than 1 and 2. I probably would've expected 3 - 5 to produce an average that was ~2 points higher than 1 and 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, would be interested in problem of the week sort of stuff.

    Also.... uhhh..... 5.6 is a lot easier than 4.6 imo, but 5.6 is pretty standard lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw me = david yang if you are wondering who i am

    For test 3, I think it was just that everyone had seen #3. And, do you solve 3.6 by the 'standard' way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the next vmt 8th period I'm going to (other than AMC B / USAMO) is the end of the year party, so I don't really care what goes on in second semester. The last three contests were significantly easier than the first one, and I didn't fail the first one so I'm not that biased. Also, hooray for doing a problem, abandoning the final calculation, and guessing the correct answer anyway :D.

    @Jenny: The sponsors like easier contests (RCML, FCML) because they suck at math (why are they VMT sponsors again?) and they're happy when they find a contest they can actually do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Sam, don't be mean to them...
    What do you know about their math abilities anyway?

    Also, if you leave the intranet page on, the snow accumulates at the bottom! Except it completely lags your browser >_>;;

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jenny: I've heard them discussing problems at competitions to which they don't have solutions. For example, at Duke 2008, they spent about an hour trying to figure out how you can have an equilangular but not equilateral hexagon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sam: Ms Gabriel, at least, can get a decent score on the AIME, from what I recall. It turns out that if you are associated with contest math for 15+ years, you end up at least reasonably good at it. (Also, this is a public blog...)

    As for why we do RCML, I don't even know what RCML is, so I won't comment. Maybe it is helpful for less experienced people? Or maybe it's not actually that helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doctor Osborne is good at math. Is he going to be a sponsor next year?

    Anyway, I've definitely noticed recently (in classes, actually) that the harder tests are the better they are at distinguishing between people's abilities.

    Also, I would be interested in seeing certain problems, though the only ones I would really be interested in seeing are calculus problems (good calculus problems that are neither proof based nor exercises (i.e. homework type problems) are hard to find).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why did other people, who are better at geo than me, not get #6 on perf. contest 4...anyways, I don't think the contests hae gotten any easier, outside of the third one, and they're a far better judge than for instance NYICML for who should be on each team. NYICML strikes me more as a contest to see who can avoid silly errors. Mandelbrot is fine, though I consistently fail it >_>. Also, question-of-the-week thing could be pretty interesting, though I'm not entirely sure what it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just realized, now that you italicize your "before," that I misread the "after" in #6 on the last performance contest to be a "before." Darn.

    I like the idea of a problem of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, seriously, I don't like the fact that I can't edit my comment - but I suppose that's just an annoying limitation of Blogspot, then?

    Anyways, I think that the contests actually did get easier. Unfortunately, they also became more computationally heavy. For example, #6 on performance contest 4... darn.

    Overall, however, I prefer these contests to NYCIML by a ridiculously large amount.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @David: I'm not sure what you mean by the "standard way" in your question about 3.6. You solve the recurrence with standard methods and then approximate the argument of the resulting bases.

    My idea for problem of the week is that I would post the problems somewhere sometime during the week (I have no idea what day people would check mostly - maybe Saturday would be best for me anyway) and then everyone participating would have a week to send me their answers. I would try to keep a rankings system somewhere (and would probably post updates on my blog). But this is all just random thought. I don't actually have any preference about what the format would be, so if you have any preference just let me know and I'll try to put them in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That would actually be a really good idea to motivate people to do math outside of Wednesdays 8th period....

    ReplyDelete
  16. it appears that counting down to MIT did not affect performance very much.

    ReplyDelete